Two more Cong MLAs want to quit as Telangana issue gathers pace
Hyderabad: A day after 16 YSR Congress MLAs and one from Congress announced resignations in support of united Andhra Pradesh, two more ruling party legislators from non-Telangana regions on Friday said they would also quit as the central leadership moves towards a decision on statehood.
Congress MLAs from Nellore district Sridhara Krishna Reddy and A Prabhakar Reddy said they are resigning in support of the demand for keeping Andhra Pradesh united.
The development comes amid assertion by the Congress` central leadership that consultation process over Telangana is over and time for a decision has come.
A ruling party MLA and 16 YSR Congress legislators from non-Telangana regions yesterday said they have "resigned" in support of a united Andhra Pradesh.
Except YSR Congress` floor leader in Assembly YS Vijayamma, all the other 16 MLAs had "quit" their posts "individually", party sources said.
Alleging that Congress is more concerned about its political future in deciding the Telangana issue, YSRCP MLAs said it should first spell out its stance over the matter and consult all parties before taking any decision.
Congress MLA from Kamalapuram in Kadapa district G Veerasiva Reddy also said he has resigned from his post and also from the party.
Dismissing the resignations by YSRCP MLAs as political opportunism, APCC chief Botsa Satyanarayana said the Jaganmohan Reddy-led party should first announce its own stance on the Telangana issue.
The resignations were expected to put pressure on the legislators from Rayalaseema and coastal Andhra to quit in the event of the Centre taking a favourable decision on Telangana.
Competitive resignations have become routine in Andhra Pradesh ever since the contentious Telangana issue took the centre-stage in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion