Two policemen arrested in rape case
Hyderabad: Two policemen including a special officer have been arrested by the CID in connection with a 2010 rape case in Guntur district of Andhra Pradesh.
The case, which was registered two years ago and later closed by Venukonda police in Guntur was re-investigated by CID which established the rape of a married woman by constable Orsu Venkatesh with the help of SPO Saida, who prevented the victim`s husband to rescue her.
The duo were arrested in Guntur yesterday, police said today.
Venkatesh is presently attached to Krosur police station in Guntur and the SPO, who was with Penukonda police was removed from service a year ago.
"This was a case of heinous offence involving a married woman in her house after sending her husband away, keeping the victim under threat by using official position, Additional Director General of Police (CID) S V Ramana Murthy said.
The Vinukonda Police of Guntur have not investigated the case properly and finally it was closed by local police. The local inspectors who investigated the case have tried to shield the police constable successively and recommended for the closure of the case. They went to the extent of prosecuting the victim on the plea that she already gave a false complaint, he said.
Sensing that the case was closed wrongly, the CID took over the investigation of the case and further investigated the case.
The probe established the commission of rape by the police constable and role played by SPO in preventing the husband to rescue his wife when sexually assaulted, resulting in the arrest of the accused, Murthy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak