Two taken into custody in army recruitment scam in AP
Hyderabad: Intensifying its investigations
into the alleged scam in the ongoing army recruitment in
Warangal district, two persons who had brought non-local
youths for the purpose were on Monday taken into custody.
Kondal Reddy and Rajeshwar Reddy were taken into custody
after they had brought six candidates from Harayana and other
states by giving them fake domicile certificates from Ranga
Reddy district to enable them to get through the selection
process, official sources said.
"The duo are being further interrogated," the sources
said, even as investigations revealed that one retired army
officer who had allegedly collected huge amounts of money from
the non-local youths and provided them with false documents,
had wide-ranging contacts.
The retired army officer, whose is suspected to be behind
the alleged scam is still at large, an investigating officer
said, adding, "It`s very difficult to nab him as he has
The recruitment drive was for youths from nine districts
of Telangana region, but police had found that non-locals
had made their way into the recruitment process.
Police arrested over 70 youths from Harayana and
Rajasthan after they attacked local candidates and police on
Non-local candidates, who were lodged at a private hostel
at Hanamkonda, entered into an altercation with local youths
after they objected to the presence of candidates from other
states, including those from Jammu and Kashmir and Kerala
among others and attacked them and police.
During interrogation, the candidates had disclosed that
they obtained nativity certificates from one Yashpal Singh, a
former army officer who runs an army recruitment consultancy
in Secunderabad. They alleged they paid sums ranging between
Rs 50,000 to 1.5 lakh for procuring the false certificates.
"The arrested youths will be produced in a local court
for judicial remand and further investigations are underway,"
the sources said.
Meanwhile, the Warangal Police is likely to submit a
report in a day or two on the whole incident to the state
Director General of Police R R Girish Kumar, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister