Union minister Samabasiva Rao resigns
Hyderabad: Union textiles minister Kavuri Sambasiva Rao Thursday resigned from the union cabinet to protest bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh.
Rao sent his resignation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, sources close to the minister said.
He, however, has not yet taken a decision on whether to quit the Congress.
He is reportedly planning to join the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). The MP from Eluru in West Godavari district was inducted into the union cabinet in June last year.
After the bill for formation of separate Telangana state was passed in the parliament in February, Rao had reportedly decided to quit the Congress and join the Telugu Desam Party (TDP). However, the TDP leaders in West Godavari district opposed his admission into the party.
Rao has three decade old association with the Congress. He was first elected to Lok Sabha in 1984. He was again elected in 1989, 1998, 2004 and 2009.
He is the second central minister to quit over the state`s bifurcation. Last month, D Purandeswari had resigned as the minister and also quit the Congress. She joined the BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened