United Andhra group threatens Hyderabad siege
Hyderabad: A group opposing proposed Andhra Pradesh bifurcation has threatened to lay siege to Hyderabad when a draft bill for formation of separate Telangana state will be tabled in the Assembly.
The Samaikya Rashtra Parirakshana Vedika (SRPV) or the forum for protection of united state held a meeting here Saturday.
SRPV chairman Ashok Babu said they would call for laying siege to Hyderabad with the slogan "occupy Hyderabad" during the Assembly session.
The central government is likely to send the draft bill for formation of Telangana state to the Andhra Pradesh assembly later this month.
Babu, also the leader of government employees of Seemandhra (Rayalaseema and coastal Andhra), urged the staff to be ready for a million march in Hyderabad.
He alleged police created hurdles in the meeting. "This is the situation in united Andhra Pradesh. When Hyderabad will be made joint capital, I think, separate roads will be earmarked for people from Seemandhra," he quipped.
He said Andhra Pradesh Non-Gazetted Officers (APNGOs) Association would meet Nov 24 to chalk out its future course of action.
Tension prevailed at the meeting venue when Telangana activists tried to disrupt it.
While Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) and other pro-Telangana group protestors raised "Jai Telangana" slogans, the anti-bifurcation supporters countered with shouts of "Jai Samaikyandhra".
The two groups nearly came to blows. Police arrested the protestors and forcibly removed them from the venue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!