United Andhra group threatens Hyderabad siege
Hyderabad: A group opposing proposed Andhra Pradesh bifurcation has threatened to lay siege to Hyderabad when a draft bill for formation of separate Telangana state will be tabled in the Assembly.
The Samaikya Rashtra Parirakshana Vedika (SRPV) or the forum for protection of united state held a meeting here Saturday.
SRPV chairman Ashok Babu said they would call for laying siege to Hyderabad with the slogan "occupy Hyderabad" during the Assembly session.
The central government is likely to send the draft bill for formation of Telangana state to the Andhra Pradesh assembly later this month.
Babu, also the leader of government employees of Seemandhra (Rayalaseema and coastal Andhra), urged the staff to be ready for a million march in Hyderabad.
He alleged police created hurdles in the meeting. "This is the situation in united Andhra Pradesh. When Hyderabad will be made joint capital, I think, separate roads will be earmarked for people from Seemandhra," he quipped.
He said Andhra Pradesh Non-Gazetted Officers (APNGOs) Association would meet Nov 24 to chalk out its future course of action.
Tension prevailed at the meeting venue when Telangana activists tried to disrupt it.
While Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) and other pro-Telangana group protestors raised "Jai Telangana" slogans, the anti-bifurcation supporters countered with shouts of "Jai Samaikyandhra".
The two groups nearly came to blows. Police arrested the protestors and forcibly removed them from the venue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing