United Andhra group threatens Hyderabad siege
Hyderabad: A group opposing proposed Andhra Pradesh bifurcation has threatened to lay siege to Hyderabad when a draft bill for formation of separate Telangana state will be tabled in the Assembly.
The Samaikya Rashtra Parirakshana Vedika (SRPV) or the forum for protection of united state held a meeting here Saturday.
SRPV chairman Ashok Babu said they would call for laying siege to Hyderabad with the slogan "occupy Hyderabad" during the Assembly session.
The central government is likely to send the draft bill for formation of Telangana state to the Andhra Pradesh assembly later this month.
Babu, also the leader of government employees of Seemandhra (Rayalaseema and coastal Andhra), urged the staff to be ready for a million march in Hyderabad.
He alleged police created hurdles in the meeting. "This is the situation in united Andhra Pradesh. When Hyderabad will be made joint capital, I think, separate roads will be earmarked for people from Seemandhra," he quipped.
He said Andhra Pradesh Non-Gazetted Officers (APNGOs) Association would meet Nov 24 to chalk out its future course of action.
Tension prevailed at the meeting venue when Telangana activists tried to disrupt it.
While Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) and other pro-Telangana group protestors raised "Jai Telangana" slogans, the anti-bifurcation supporters countered with shouts of "Jai Samaikyandhra".
The two groups nearly came to blows. Police arrested the protestors and forcibly removed them from the venue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy