Up to Congress to take decision on Telangana issue: Naidu
Karimnagar (AP): After facing protest by pro-Telangana supporters here, Telugu Desam Party chief N Chandrababu Naidu on Thursday said it is up to the ruling Congress in the state to take a stand on the issue.
"It is for the Congress party to take a decision on the separate statehood issue," he told reporters here.
The former Chief Minister`s comment comes ahead of the December 28 all-party meeting called by the Centre to discuss the Telangana issue.
Naidu was here as part of his `Padyatra` which he embarked upon on October 2 from Anantapur district.
When he reached Boorgupalli village under Gangadhara mandal, he was greeted by Telangana agitators, who wanted Naidu to clarify his stand on granting statehood to the region.
Tension prevailed as Telangana supporters and TDP workers gathered at the village pelted stones at each other, but the situation was brought under control by police.
When contacted, Gangadhara Sub-Inspector G Kishore said around two dozen persons were arrested in connection the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?