Up to Congress to take decision on Telangana issue: Naidu
Karimnagar (AP): After facing protest by pro-Telangana supporters here, Telugu Desam Party chief N Chandrababu Naidu on Thursday said it is up to the ruling Congress in the state to take a stand on the issue.
"It is for the Congress party to take a decision on the separate statehood issue," he told reporters here.
The former Chief Minister`s comment comes ahead of the December 28 all-party meeting called by the Centre to discuss the Telangana issue.
Naidu was here as part of his `Padyatra` which he embarked upon on October 2 from Anantapur district.
When he reached Boorgupalli village under Gangadhara mandal, he was greeted by Telangana agitators, who wanted Naidu to clarify his stand on granting statehood to the region.
Tension prevailed as Telangana supporters and TDP workers gathered at the village pelted stones at each other, but the situation was brought under control by police.
When contacted, Gangadhara Sub-Inspector G Kishore said around two dozen persons were arrested in connection the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred