UPA `strong and stable` despite MIM snapping ties: Congress
New Delhi: Congress on Monday claimed that the UPA government is "strong and stable" despite the Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) becoming the third constituent to withdraw support after Mamata Banerjee`s Trinamool Congress and Babualal Marandi`s Jharkhand outfit.
Party spokesman Sandeep Dikshit also said the UPA has "got the numbers required" in Parliament and would prove its majority whenever required. He said that the Congress-led coalition will get support of various parties when government puts forth positive reforms initiatives.
"We already have support of parties. We will continue to have majority. We still enjoy support of 280-300 members (in the Lok Sabha). It is a strong and stable government and I have no doubt it will remain a strong and stable government," he told reporters. The strength of Lok Sabha is 543.
Dismissing charges by MIM that Andhra Pradesh government has taken a communal stand and is giving a free run to Sangh activists, he said the basic principle of chief ministers in Congress-ruled states is secularism and any allegation contrary to it is denied.
Refuting suggestions that Congress was bad at running coalitions, he said withdrawal of support by MIM as also Mamata Banerjee`s party was for "local reasons" and had nothing to do with any policy issue.
He evaded questions as to whether BSP and SP will support the government if Banerjee brings a no-confidence motion against it in the winter session of Parliament starting on November 22.
MIM, having a lone Lok Sabha member and seven members in the state assembly, withdrew support to the UPA at the Centre and the Andhra Pradesh government, accusing the Congress government there of giving a free run to Sangh activists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you