Vijaya faces no trouble from Telangana supporters
Warangal (AP): YSR Congress leader Y S Vijaya Lakshmi had a smooth passage in Telangana region during her campaign on Friday for the June 12 by-polls, unlike other top leaders from non-Telangana regions who have faced anger of supporters of statehood demand.
Vijaya Lakshmi and her daughter Sharmila campaigned in Parkal Assembly segment in Warangal district, the hotbed of statehood agitation, for the YSR Congress`s Konda Surekha.
Top leaders including TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy and even YSR Congress president Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy had faced strong protests, often violent, from Telangana supporters.
Jagan had to abort his plan to undertake `odarpu yatra` in Warangal district two years ago following violent clashes between his supporters and pro-Telangana agitators at Mahabubabad railway station.
But Vijaya Lakshmi had a smooth going mainly because TRS and Telangana political Joint Action Committee (JAC) decided not to oppose her campaign. TRS, however, asked why Jagan held a placard in support of united Andhra Pradesh in Parliament couple of years ago, while JAC wanted Vijaya Lakshmi to spell out her party`s stand on the separate statehood demand.
Some student groups from Kakatiya University at Warangal and Osmania University in Hyderabad had said they would oppose her visit, but they did not pose any problem eventually.
Parkal is the only Assembly seat from Telangana region where by-election will be held. Other 17 seats where by-elections would be held are in non-Telangana regions.
The by-poll was necessitated in Parkal as the sitting Congress MLA switched loyalty to Jagan and voted against the government during a floor test in December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi