Vijayamma`s fast: TRS leaders taken into preventiv
Hyderabad: Scores of TRS workers and activists of separate statehood groups were Monday taken into preventive custody at different places when they tried to stop the convoy of YSR Congress Honorary President Y S Vijayamma who was on her way to hold a `dharna` in support of weavers` problem in Sircilla of Karimnagar district.
Over 300 preventive arrests of TRS workers including party MLAs Harish Rao and K T Ramarao was made in Medak and Karimnagar districts respectively as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order even as TRS leaders were moved to other locations, police said.
"Majority of the preventive arrests have been made in Siddipet and nearby places. There is no disruption to the movement of the convoy," Medak district Superintendent of Police P J Victor said.
Police also made preventive arrests of TRS Korutla MLA Vidyasagar Rao along with several members of TRS party while other statehood group activists were detained in Karimnagar district even as some TRS leaders were also kept under house arrest.
Security has been enhanced in Telangana districts.
Earlier, nearly 15 TRS members were detained and eight of them later taken into preventive custody when they tried to stop the YSR Congress leader`s convoy at Shamirpet while few pro-Telangana students were also detained near the Telangana Bhavan here, another police officer said.
At some places TRS workers also held demonstrations even as police aborted their plans to stage road blockades en route Sircilla town. TRS has opposed Vijayamma`s proposed `dharna` accusing the YSR party of failing to spell out its stand on Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them