Vijayasanthi arrested, released on bail by HC
Hyderabad: Amid high drama, actress-turned
TRS MP Vijayasanthi was on Saturday arrested here on charges of
making inflammatory remarks on the Telangana issue and later
released on bail in the evening.
The 44-year-old Telangana Rashtra Samiti MP was
earlier remanded to 14 days judicial custody after which party
leaders approached the Andhra Pradesh High Court, which
granted her bail.
The city police arrested Vijayasanthi at around noon
when she was on her way to her parliamentary constituency in
Medak district for allegedly making inflammatory remarks
against those opposed to the formation of a separate Telangana
state during an election meeting at the TRS office here on
The meeting was organised in connection with the
bypolls to 12 Assembly segments to be held on July 27 in the
When the convoy of Vijaysanthi reached new L V Prasad
Eye hospital on Banjara Hills area, police interrupted the
convoy. After some heated exchange of words with Vijaysanthi
and her supporters, the police pulled out her driver, who
initially resisted, and one of the police personnel drove the
car to Nampally court.
The Banjara Hills police had tried to arrest the women
MP yesterday, but could not do so as she was not at home at
that time. The Election Commission has given time till July 4
to the MP to give reply on her remarks.
"It is the victory of the party, which fought for my
release," Vijayasanthi told reporters after her release.
Earlier, the she said she would not file any bail application.
"I accepted bail because it was filed by my party. As
per the instruction of my party I came out," the MP said.
Taking exception to the behaviour of the police, she
said, "I have not committed any mistake and I am not a
She was charged under under IPC sections 153-A
(Promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of
religion, race, place of birth and residence) and 505(2)
(Statements creating or promoting enmity, ill-will or hatred
between classes), police said.
TRS chief K Chandrasekhara Rao, addressing a party
meeting here, said they cannot keep quite when one of their
MPs is languishing jail.
The MP was scheduled to attend a party function with
Hareesh Rao- TRS leader and party candidate for by-elections
in Siddipet constituency which falls under Medak.
State Home Minister Sabita Indra Reddy said she would
seek an explanation from the police on the behaviour of its
Meanwhile, Congress MLA T Jayaprakash was also
arrested by Medak Police on similar charges.
The Congress MLA was arrested from his residence at
Yusufguda in the city for his alleged inflammatory speech at a
by-election meeting in the Telangana region, Sesh Kumar,
Deputy Superintendent of Police, Medak, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31