Violence-hit AP city peaceful; curfew lifted for 12 hours
Visakhapatnam: With the situation further improving, authorities today relaxed curfew for 12 hours in trouble-hit Vizianagaram city of Andhra Pradesh.
The curfew has been relaxed from 0600 hours to 1800 in view of improvement in the situation in Vizianagaram and to allow people to buy essential commodities, Deputy Inspector General of Police (Visakhapatnam region) P Umapathi told a news agency.
Yesterday, curbs on movement of people were lifted for nine hours and the period passed off peacefully, prompting officials to provide further relief to the people today.
However, prohibitory orders under Section 144 of CrPc (banning assembly of a certain number of people) will continue to remain in force during the relaxation period.
Authorities will decide on lifting the curfew, clamped on October 5, completely after a review meeting with officials concerned, he said.
The situation had been peaceful in the coastal Andhra town in the last five days, Umapathi said.
However, police and paramilitary personnel, including members of the anti-riot Rapid Action Force, continue to patrol the trouble-torn city.
Curfew was clamped in Vizianagaram in the wake of large-scale violence by supporters of united Andhra Pradesh.
In all, 320 people have been taken into custody for the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS