Vizag doctor sent to jail in kidney sale case
Cuttack: The director of a private hospital in Vishakhapatnam, arrested in an alleged kidney sale case, was brought here and sent to jail for two weeks by a local court today.
The Vizag-based hospital director 58-year-old N Prabhakar Babu was brought here last evening on transit remand and produced before a lower court where his bail application was rejected and he was remanded to 14 days judicial custody.
Babu was arrested by a team of Cuttack police on June 17 from his hospital complex for alleged illegal kidney sale case involving a Cuttack woman, police sources said.
The hospital had allegedly removed a kidney of the woman and transplanted it on a young man in April this year in which both the donor and recipient were fraudulently shown as wife and husband, they said.
The city police had arrested Babu under several sections of IPC and violation of Transplantation of Human Organ Act of 1994.
However, the Cuttack police had failed to immediately bring the doctor here after he was taken ill soon after his arrest. Following a direction of the Andhra Pradesh High Court, Babu was brought here on remand for five days after his arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes