Vizag doctor sent to jail in kidney sale case
Cuttack: The director of a private hospital in Vishakhapatnam, arrested in an alleged kidney sale case, was brought here and sent to jail for two weeks by a local court today.
The Vizag-based hospital director 58-year-old N Prabhakar Babu was brought here last evening on transit remand and produced before a lower court where his bail application was rejected and he was remanded to 14 days judicial custody.
Babu was arrested by a team of Cuttack police on June 17 from his hospital complex for alleged illegal kidney sale case involving a Cuttack woman, police sources said.
The hospital had allegedly removed a kidney of the woman and transplanted it on a young man in April this year in which both the donor and recipient were fraudulently shown as wife and husband, they said.
The city police had arrested Babu under several sections of IPC and violation of Transplantation of Human Organ Act of 1994.
However, the Cuttack police had failed to immediately bring the doctor here after he was taken ill soon after his arrest. Following a direction of the Andhra Pradesh High Court, Babu was brought here on remand for five days after his arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand