Vizag doctor sent to jail in kidney sale case
Cuttack: The director of a private hospital in Vishakhapatnam, arrested in an alleged kidney sale case, was brought here and sent to jail for two weeks by a local court today.
The Vizag-based hospital director 58-year-old N Prabhakar Babu was brought here last evening on transit remand and produced before a lower court where his bail application was rejected and he was remanded to 14 days judicial custody.
Babu was arrested by a team of Cuttack police on June 17 from his hospital complex for alleged illegal kidney sale case involving a Cuttack woman, police sources said.
The hospital had allegedly removed a kidney of the woman and transplanted it on a young man in April this year in which both the donor and recipient were fraudulently shown as wife and husband, they said.
The city police had arrested Babu under several sections of IPC and violation of Transplantation of Human Organ Act of 1994.
However, the Cuttack police had failed to immediately bring the doctor here after he was taken ill soon after his arrest. Following a direction of the Andhra Pradesh High Court, Babu was brought here on remand for five days after his arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Delhi govt introduces 'Change-makers in education' fellowship
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88