Vizag HPCL refinery fire: Death toll climbs to nine
Visakhapatnam: The death toll in the massive fire at state-run Hindustan Petroleum (HPCL) refinery-cum-petrochemical complex here has risen to nine with one more worker succumbing to burn injuries on Monday, a PSU official said.
50-year-old S Sanyasi Rao who was undergoing treatment at the Old Care hospital here died today, the official said.
At present, 34 injured workers are being treated in various corporate hospitals across the city. While four injured have been airlifted to a Mumbai hospital, the official said.
Around half a dozen of them have received more than 70 per cent burns and are said to be in critical condition.
On August 23, the blaze started in the sprawling complex at around 4 pm, killing two workers and injuring several others. A day later, the death toll climbed to eight, including seven workers of private companies and a HPCL employee.
As per preliminary reports, the fire broke out due to blasting of cooling tower due to a short-circuit.
The extent of damage to the refinery-cum-petrochemical complex was still being ascertained.
Union Minister Veerappa Moily, who had visited the site on Saturday, had announced a compensation of Rs 1 crore to family members of the deceased PSU employee Ch Murali and said the contract companies concerned will pay compensation of Rs 20 lakh to the family members of each deceased workers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM