Vizag to be developed as model city: Andhra minister
Visakhapatnam: Andhra Pradesh Minister Ganta Srinivasa Rao on Wednesday said the state government will take necessary steps to develop Visakhapatnam as a model city.
"State Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu has a special interest in Visakhapatnam in view of its importance and the government will take steps to develop the city in all aspects," Rao said while participating in a `meet the press` programme organised by the Vizag journalists forum here.
The first Cabinet meeting of the state government will be held in Visakhapatnam tomorrow and various pending issues pertaining to the city including Simhachalam land issue, strengthening of the bunds of rivers Sarada, Varaha and Thandava in the district, pollution problems and other issues will be discussed, he said.
There is a plan to strengthen the bunds of the three rivers with a cost of Rs 110 crores to avoid inundation of nearby villages during floods, he said.
On the demand for creation of railway zone at Visakhapatnam, which currently comes under East Coast Railway, headquartered at Bhuvaneswar in Odisha state, he said all political parties and NGOs are in favour of it and expressed hope that it would be fulfilled.
To a query on the issue of bauxite mining in the agency area of Visakhapatnam, the minister said it will be taken up without any destruction. If people reject bauxite mining in the agency area, the government will not work against their wishes, he assured.
To a question, he said people`s opinion will be sought for the merger of the old Bheemunipatnam municipality into the Greater Visakhpatnam Municipal Corporation.
On the development of Petroleum, Chemicals and Petrochemicals Investment Region (PCPIR) between Visakhaptnam and Kakinada, he said the project will be taken up while taking into account all safety measures and the livelihood of the fishermen community in coastal areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok