`Will take all steps to implement Muslim quota`
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister K Rosaiah has promised that his government would take "all required legal steps" for implementing four per cent reservation in jobs and education for backward class Muslims.
"With all seriousness and sincerity, we shall take all required legal steps to ensure that the benefit of reservation is extended to Muslims.
Our ultimate goal is to protect the reservation for backward class Muslims," Rosaiah assured the state Assembly even as the Special Leave Petition filed by the state against
the High Court judgment was being heard in the Supreme Court today.
The Assembly discussed the issue at length today with all parties, barring the lone BJP MLA, favouring the reservation.
In fact, Leader of Opposition N Chandrababu Naidu and CPM MLA J Ranga Reddy wanted 10 per cent reservation for Muslims as per the recommendations made by Sachar and Ranganath Misra committees.
"The government should lead an all-party delegation to the Prime Minister to press for a Constitutional amendment for providing reservation to backward class Muslims.
The state Assembly should also pass a resolution in this regard," Chandrababu said.
Majlis Ittehadul-e-Muslimeen floor leader Akbaruddin Owaisi too requested the same.
Responding, the Chief Minister said the government has no objection to this.
"Let me reassure you that we shall take required
legal measures to ensure four per cent reservation for Muslims
by all means," Rosaiah reiterated.
Earlier, replying to the debate on the issue,
Minister for BC Welfare M Mukesh Goud said 10,935 backward
Muslim students availed of the reservation benefits to pursue
higher and professional education in the last two years.
Similarly, 83 candidates secured jobs in government,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users