`Wishes of Hyderabadis should be taken into account`
New Delhi: With the process of formation
of a Telangana state set in motion, state Congress leaders
have said the aspirations of the people of Hyderabad should be
taken into consideration before deciding the city`s fate.
While the TRS has made it clear that Hyderabad should
be a part of separate Telangana state, there have been demands
from other sections to make it a Union Territory like
Law Minister M Veerappa Moily, who is also in charge
of the party affairs in Andhra Pradesh, said the issue (of
Hyderabad) will be discussed and talked over soon keeping in
mind regional aspirations.
He said the Telangana separation issue has been quite
alive since 1947 and even the then Prime Minister Jawaharlal
Nehru had said that they (Telangana people) deserve it.
"Our state MLAs had met the party high command (Sonia
Gandhi) on the separation issue in 2001 itself," he noted,
However, "We don`t work for credit. We work for the
interest of the country and region," he added.
Senior Congress leader Hanumantha Rao, while crediting
the Congress for the creation of the state, felt that North
Telnagana would not oppose Hyderabad as it will be split in
various parts once the new state is carved out.
State Minister D Nagendra said that before taking a
decision on Hyderabad, the aspiration of its people must be
taken into consideration.
"We knew that Telengana is going to happen, now we
have to put specific demand of people of Hyderabad before the
high command," he said, pointing that Hyderabad wants to
retain its culture, establishments and we have to protect
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside
- Battles in Libya's Sirte kill 34 fighters, injure over 180