Woman set ablaze for resisting rape attempt dies in AP
Hyderabad: A woman, who was set ablaze by four men after she resisted rape attempt here three days ago, died at a hospital, police said.
The 25-year-old, who had suffered 90 percent burns, died early Saturday at the government-run Gandhi Hospital.
The incident had taken place at railway quarters at Chilkalguda in Secunderabad, the twin city of Hyderabad.
The woman, who was staying with her mother and grandmother in the house, was called out by four men known to her. She was later found engulfed in flames by the local residents, who doused the fire and shifted her to hospital.
The victim told police in her statement the same day that four men tried to sexually assault her and when she resisted they doused her with kerosene and set ablaze.
A police officer said the victim, in her statement, named the accused and the police were on the lookout for them. A case of murder and attempt to rape was registered.
BJP leader Bandaru Dattatreya visited the hospital and consoled the family members of the victim. He demanded stringent punishment for the guilty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?
- Florida shooting: Three taken into custody, more suspects sought
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey