Woman set ablaze for resisting rape attempt dies in AP
Hyderabad: A woman, who was set ablaze by four men after she resisted rape attempt here three days ago, died at a hospital, police said.
The 25-year-old, who had suffered 90 percent burns, died early Saturday at the government-run Gandhi Hospital.
The incident had taken place at railway quarters at Chilkalguda in Secunderabad, the twin city of Hyderabad.
The woman, who was staying with her mother and grandmother in the house, was called out by four men known to her. She was later found engulfed in flames by the local residents, who doused the fire and shifted her to hospital.
The victim told police in her statement the same day that four men tried to sexually assault her and when she resisted they doused her with kerosene and set ablaze.
A police officer said the victim, in her statement, named the accused and the police were on the lookout for them. A case of murder and attempt to rape was registered.
BJP leader Bandaru Dattatreya visited the hospital and consoled the family members of the victim. He demanded stringent punishment for the guilty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- Typhoon to hit Japan on Tuesday; meteorological agency issues warnings
- From Kanpur to Varanasi in 10 days: 11-year-old Shraddha Shukla attempts 550 km swim in raging Ganga
- Doha airport brings in passenger tax
- Jason Gillespie to leave Yorkshire at end of season
- Myanmar holds unique position in India's neighbourhood, says PM Narendra Modi