Won`t allow bauxite mining in Vizag agency area: Ramesh
Visakhapatnam: Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh on Monday said bauxite mining would not be allowed at any cost in the Visakhapatnam agency area to protect the interests of tribals.
He said this following reports that some private companies had shown interest in mining bauxite there. However, local villagers and tribals are opposing the proposed move.
While talking to reporters at Paderu village here, Ramesh said along with the local tribals, he and Union Minister for Tribal and Panchayat Raj Kishore Chandra Deo had been against mining in the tribal areas since long.
"We are also articulating the opinion of local tribes for the last four years. Kishore Chandra Deo also wrote a letter to the state government on the decision of the Ministry. As long as we are in power, we don`t allow mining in the agency areas," he said.
The minister also appealed to Maoists to join the mainstream and participate in the development activities being carried out by the government.
Clarifying that the government was ready for a dialogue with them, Ramesh said the ultras should win the hearts of the people by following a democratic approach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing