Won`t allow bauxite mining in Vizag agency area: Ramesh
Visakhapatnam: Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh on Monday said bauxite mining would not be allowed at any cost in the Visakhapatnam agency area to protect the interests of tribals.
He said this following reports that some private companies had shown interest in mining bauxite there. However, local villagers and tribals are opposing the proposed move.
While talking to reporters at Paderu village here, Ramesh said along with the local tribals, he and Union Minister for Tribal and Panchayat Raj Kishore Chandra Deo had been against mining in the tribal areas since long.
"We are also articulating the opinion of local tribes for the last four years. Kishore Chandra Deo also wrote a letter to the state government on the decision of the Ministry. As long as we are in power, we don`t allow mining in the agency areas," he said.
The minister also appealed to Maoists to join the mainstream and participate in the development activities being carried out by the government.
Clarifying that the government was ready for a dialogue with them, Ramesh said the ultras should win the hearts of the people by following a democratic approach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing