Youth gets life term for raping minor tribal girl
Sangareddy: A Special Court has sentenced a 20-year-old youth to life imprisonment for raping a minor tribal girl near here in Medak district last year.
Pintu Yadav was awarded life imprisonment and slapped a fine of Rs 2,000 after being convicted under the SC/ST (Prevention) of Atrocities Act, Special Public Prosecutor Jala Humba Josephine said.
He was also handed 10-year jail term for rape under IPC and fined Rs 1,000 by the court, set up under the Act, which delivered its judgement two days ago, Josephine said.
Both the sentences will run concurrently and in case of default in payment of the fine, the convict will have to undergo three-month additional imprisonment, she said.
According to the prosecution, Yadav, a labourer from Bihar, lured the 6-year-old girl, whose family resided in a hamlet under Patancheru mandal of Medak district, by offering her to buy chocolates on the evening of May 18, 2012. He then took the girl on outskirts of the hamlet and raped her.
Besides IPC, the accused was charged under the SC/ST Act for committing atrocity on a member of a Scheduled Tribe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights