YSR Congress to intensify agitation over power tariff hike
Hyderabad: YSR Congress on Saturday said with the Congress-led Andhra Pradesh government not responding adequately to the issue of power tariff hike, it would intensify its agitation demanding roll-back in the increase.
The party has asked its cadre to "picket all electricity sub-stations besides holding dharnas and taking out rallies in all district headquarters to express solidarity with the party leaders who are on an indefinite fast here".
YSRCP honorary president Y S Vijayamma along with party MLAs and MLCs have been on a indefinite fast over the power tariff hike issue for the last five days.
Leaders of TDP, Left and BJP have also held fasts over the issue and they were shifted to hospitals by police after a few days into the fast in view of their deteriorating health condition.
Facing flak from the opposition, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy had announced on Thursday that the state would bear an additional subsidy burden of Rs 830 crore to ease the woos of the domestic power consumers.
YSRCP, however, alleged that the relief given by the state government was inadequate.
AP Electricity Regulatory Commission announced a new power tariff order for FY 2013-14 last week, allowing the power distribution companies to levy additional tariff of Rs 6,173 crore on consumers from April 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred