YSR Congress to intensify agitation over power tariff hike
Hyderabad: YSR Congress on Saturday said with the Congress-led Andhra Pradesh government not responding adequately to the issue of power tariff hike, it would intensify its agitation demanding roll-back in the increase.
The party has asked its cadre to "picket all electricity sub-stations besides holding dharnas and taking out rallies in all district headquarters to express solidarity with the party leaders who are on an indefinite fast here".
YSRCP honorary president Y S Vijayamma along with party MLAs and MLCs have been on a indefinite fast over the power tariff hike issue for the last five days.
Leaders of TDP, Left and BJP have also held fasts over the issue and they were shifted to hospitals by police after a few days into the fast in view of their deteriorating health condition.
Facing flak from the opposition, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy had announced on Thursday that the state would bear an additional subsidy burden of Rs 830 crore to ease the woos of the domestic power consumers.
YSRCP, however, alleged that the relief given by the state government was inadequate.
AP Electricity Regulatory Commission announced a new power tariff order for FY 2013-14 last week, allowing the power distribution companies to levy additional tariff of Rs 6,173 crore on consumers from April 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls