YSR Congress welcomes Vijayawada as Andhra Pradesh capital
Hyderabad: YSR Congress Party (YSRCP) has welcomed the Andhra Pradesh government`s move to develop the state capital around Vijayawada even as it found fault with the manner in which the decision was taken.
Members of the opposition party voiced their protest when Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu made the announcement in the state Assembly. They argued that the issue should have been discussed before taking a decision.
YSRCP president YS Jaganmohan Reddy said while his party had no objection over the government`s choice, it only wanted a decision in a democratic manner.
Jagan, as the leader of opposition is popularly known, said in the larger interest of the state his party welcomed the decision and was ready to give constructive suggestions.
He, however, said capital should come up on government land. He said the development of capital required 30,000 acres and voiced his apprehension that the land pooling system proposed by the government will lead to sharp increase in land prices, benefiting landlords.
- Over 81 percent polling in Bengal assembly polls phase five
- AIADMK government implemented several worker welfare schemes: Jayalalithaa
- Congress criticises Centre for not inquiring Vijay Mallya's transactions
- See pic: Tim Kopra shares view of massive storm near Japan from space!
- Thousands rally in Turkey to mark May Day amid tight security