YSR Congress`s 15 members suspended from Andhra assembly
Hyderabad: The YSR Congress Party`s (YSRCP) 15 legislators were Thursday suspended from the Andhra Pradesh state assembly for a day for stalling the house as they opposed the proposed bifurcation of the state.
Speaker N Manohar suspended the legislators after Minister for Legislative Affairs S. Sailajanath moved a motion for their suspension.
YSRCP lawmakers surrounded the speaker`s podium, demanding that the house pass a resolution urging the central government to keep the state united.
Both the speaker and the legislative affairs minister repeatedly appealed to the legislators to resume their seats and cooperate in the debate on the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill, 2013, sent by the president to the assembly for its opinion.
As YSRCP members continued to stall proceedings, the minister moved a motion for their suspension. The speaker announced that the house adopted the motion with a voice vote. As the legislators refused to leave the house, the speaker called in the marshals, who bodily lifted them out.
Protesting the suspension, YSRCP leader YS Vijayamma staged a walkout.
After coming out of the assembly building, the legislators staged a sit-in on the road, leading to a traffic jam. Police arrested the lawmakers and shifted them to a police station.
The members were suspended a few minutes after the house re-assembled, following two adjournments.
The speaker twice adjourned the house in the morning as YSRCP members continued to stall proceedings. They wanted the speaker to first pass a resolution for a united Andhra Pradesh before taking up the debate on the bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends