YSRCP chief Vijayalakshmi begins indefinite fast, blasts TDP
Guntur: YSR Congress Party honorary president YS Vijayalakshmi on Monday began her indefinite fast against the proposed division of Andhra Pradesh and accused TDP president N Chandrababu Naidu of having a tacit understanding with Congress on the separate statehood issue.
"Chandrababu`s 2008 letter to the then union finance minister Pranab Mukherjee, agreeing to division of Andhra Pradesh, was responsible for the CWC`s decision to carve out separate Telangana state," she alleged while addressing a public rally here.
Vijayalakshmi, who recently resigned as MLA from Pulivendula constituency, along with her son and Kadapa MP Y S Jaganmohan Reddy, in protest against the "manner in which the division of the state was finalised by Congress", said that TDP was shedding crocodile tears on the issue.
She did not spare Congress either and accused the party of drawing a political mileage from the statehood issue.
"Congress decision (on carving out Telangana) is politically-motivated one and taken in keeping 2014 elections in mind," Vijayalakshmi added.
She said that Congress did not take into consideration the sentiments of people from the Andhra-Rayalaseema regions before taking a final call on the division of the state.
"YSR Congress` stand is clear. If equal justice cannot be done to both the regions, the state should be kept intact. Before the bifurcation of state takes place, issues like sharing of finance, river water, government staff should be taken into consideration," she said.
In a veiled attack on TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao, Vijayalakshmi said, "People of Seemandhra are deeply attached with Hyderabad city and it is unjust to show them the door now".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi