YSRCP honorary president Vijayamma to go on indefinite fast
Vijayawada: YSR Congress party honorary president YS Vijayamma has decided to go on an indefinite hunger strike from August 19 to protest against the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh, party sources said here on Friday.
The YSR Congress city unit has also finalised a venue close to the busy M G Road for the hunger strike by the mother of jailed party supremo Jagan Mohan Reddy, they said.
YSR Congress leaders and former legislators S Udaya Bhanu and Jaleel Khan told reporters here today that Vijayamma decided to go on a hunger strike only to protect the interests of the people of Seemandhra (Rayalaseema and non-Telangana regions) by not allowing the Congress to bifurcate the state.
Two party MLAs -- Amaranatha Reddy and K Srinivasulu are already on hunger strike in their respective constituencies, Rajampeta and Kodur in Kadapa district, against the division of Andhra Pradesh. Eleven supporters of Srinivasulu have also joined him in his fast.
The YSR Congress leaders also asked Telugu Desam Party (TDP) President Chandrababu Naidu to resign as a legislator to protect the interests of the Seemandhra people and alleged that he is still playing double games on the statehood issue, which is against the interests of the Seemadhra people.
As a leader from the Seemandhra region, it is Naidu`s responsibility to protect the interests of the people of that region from being affected due to bifurcation, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- iPhone 7 to be launched on September 16: Report
- Virat Kohli: The making of India's greatest Test captain
- Pacer Neil Wagner bags six wickets as New Zealand restrict Zimbabwe to 164 on Day 1
- Price rise: FM Jaitley counters Rahul Gandhi, says bluster no match to statistics
- Indian men's hockey team go down 1-4 to Spain in Rio Olympics preparation match