YSRCP legislator Sobha Nagi Reddy dies in road accident
Hyderabad: YSR Congress Party senior leader and Allagadda MLA Sobha Nagi Reddy on Thursday succumbed to grievous injuries sustained in a road accident in Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh.
The 45-year-old was seriously hurt when her car turned turtle skidding through a heap of wet paddy laid out on the main road by farmers for drying, party sources said.
The accident occurred late last night when she was returning to Allagadda, from where she is seeking re-election in the coming Assembly elections, after a day`s hectic schedule of YSRCP campaign at Nandyal.
Along with Sobha, her car driver and her two bodyguards were also injured. They were all immediately shifted to a hospital at Nandyal. While they were recovering at the Nandyal Hospital, Sobha was shifted to Care Hospital at Banjara Hills here where she breathed her last today.
Sobha, who leaves behind husband Bhuma Nagi Reddy, a former MP, two daughters and a son, is daughter of former Minister S V Subba Reddy and sister of former MLC S V Mohan Reddy.
She was elected four times to the Andhra Pradesh Assembly, including as YSRCP candidate in the by-elections of 2012. She also worked as the Chairperson of APSRTC during the TDP regime.
Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan, YSR Congress Party president Y S Jaganmohan Reddy, honorary president Y S Vijayamma, party leader Y S Sharmila and other senior leaders expressed shock over her death.
As the news of her death spread, a pall of gloom descended on the YSRCP central office in Hyderabad.
"She was with me when I was in difficulties. I am shocked at the accident and her death. It is a sad news for me," Jaganmohan Reddy told reporters at Ponnuru in Guntur district.
He had since left for Hyderabad cancelling his campaign schedule.
Vijayamma, who was in tears, could not control her emotions. "She was like a daughter to me. It is a shocking development. Her death leaves a void in the party and it can`t be filled," she told reporters.
Sharmila, who shared dais with Sobha at YSRCP public meetings at Nandyal and its surrounding areas on Wednesday, said, "I feel I have lost my elder sister. It is really shocking."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB