YSR`s brother Vivekananda Reddy quits Congress
Hyderabad: The YSR family’s last link with ruling Congress in Andhra Pradesh snapped on Wednesday with the late chief minister’s younger brother Y S Vivekananda Reddy resigning from primary membership of the party.
Viveka announced his decision to leave Congress after a meeting with his supporters in his hometown Pulivendula, coinciding with the death anniversary of his father Raja Reddy.
"You decide my political future", Viveka told his supporters after stating that he could not stay on in Congress accusing the party of having launched a diatribe against "my late brother YSR".
"I am unable to digest the criticism against my late brother by Congress leaders, including Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy. So, I have decided to quit the party," the former minister said adding "I have decided to quit the party after a lot of deliberations with my supporters".
He later told reporters that he would soon decide his course of action.
Speculation is rife that Viveka may join his nephew Jagan Mohan Reddy?s YSR Congress.
Viveka was elected twice to Lok Sabha from Kadapa constituency, twice to AP Assembly from Pulivendula and once to state Legislative Council from Kadapa Local Authorities Constituency and commanded wide respect among Congress cadres in the district.
In a strategic move, Viveka was inducted into Kiran Kumar Reddy?s cabinet in December 2010 after Jagan Mohan Reddy quit Congress along with his mother.
This drove a wedge between Viveka and Jagan and left the YSR family virtually divided, politically.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation