100-hr bandh: 15 hurt as agitators clash with police in Assam
Haflong (Assam): The third day of the 100-hour Dima Hasao bandh was marred by violence as at least 15 persons, including a woman police officer, were injured in a clash between the police and bandh supporters at Mahur railway station, the police said.
The clash took place when policemen tried to remove a blockade by the agitators at the station where a goods train was stranded since Wednesday, the first day of the bandh.
When the police lathicharged the agitators, they pelted stones on the force personnel, the sources said adding the injured were admitted to Haflong Civil Hospital.
The 100-hour bandh was called by North Cachar Hills Indigenous Student Forum (NCHISF), demanding bifurcation of Dima Hasao district and protesting against renaming of NC Hills to Dima Hasao district.
Normal life today was affected with almost all establishment remaining shut.
However, schools and colleges were open and exempted from the purview of the bandh as the HSLC and HS examinations are going on.
Meanwhile, the district administration has invited the agitators and civil society tomorrow for a discussion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say