11,000 security personnel for Assam
New Delhi: The Centre has authorised the Assam government to deploy more than 11,000 paramilitary personnel in the state`s violence-hit districts and dispatched a C-135 heavy lift aircraft with medical teams and supplies.
So far 7,300 personnel of paramilitary forces have been deployed in strife-torn Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri districts after moving them from other states in the wake of clashes between Bodos and minority immigrants there.
In addition, the state has been authorised to use 11,600 men of paramilitary forces to bring back normalcy in the worst affected areas.
Home Secretary RK Singh said teams of National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF) along with experts in drinking water and sanitation issues have been rushed to the affected areas in the same aircraft.
Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth reviewed with Assam Chief Secretary Naba Kumar Das during a video conference last evening the relief and medical arrangements for the victims of one of the worst ethnic violence witnessed in recent times in lower Assam districts.
The meeting was attended by senior officers of the all concerned Ministries and Departments.
"Two teams comprising physician, gynaecologist, paediatrician, public health specialists, resident doctors and nurses have been airlifted from Delhi at 5.15 PM yesterday," an official spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday