13-yr-old gang-raped for `stealing` mobile; 5 held
Tinsukia: A 13-year-old girl in Tinsukia district of upper Assam was allegedly gang-raped by four persons on suspicion that she had stolen a mobile phone of one of them, police said on Friday.
Five persons, including a woman, were arrested.
The incident occurred at Sukanpukhuri tea estate under Makum police station on the intervening night of January 2-3 after one of the accused, Jogeshwar Mali, lost his cellphone.
His wife Tusu suspected that the girl, who is from the same tea estate, had stolen the mobile.
Police said Tusu incited her husband and his friends to punish the girl and the four caught hold of the girl at a lonely stretch of the estate and raped her.
The police today arrested Tusu, Mali and his friends Sanesh Nayak, Tirnath Mali, Ram Chandra Patnaik after the girl told the family about the incident.
The mobile was yet to be found.
- Watch: Sushmita Sen delivers a wonderful speech at daughters' school event!
- I have no PM ambitions, united alliance is the need of the hour: Nitish Kumar
- Core sector expands to a 16-month high of 6.4% in March
- Jiah Khan case: HC refuses to extend stay on trial against Sooraj Pancholi
- Gautam Gambhir endorses Zaheer Khan for Team India coaching role - Here's what he said!