1,540 people join relief camps in Kokrajhar and Chirang
Guwahati: Over 2.42 lakh inmates are staying in 218 camps in Assam`s Kokrajhar, Chirang, Bongaigaon, Dhubri and Barpeta districts and 1,540 new inmates have taken shelter in relief camps at trouble-torn Kokrajhar and Chirang till Saturday, official sources said o Sunday.
In Dhubri, no person has either joined or left any relief camp since Saturday, the sources said.
Official sources said 1,390 Bodo inmates have taken shelter in Salakati and Deborgaoon camps in Kokrajhar, while 150 Muslim inmates have joined the camp at Basugaon (Chirang) fearing attacks.
Three new camps have been opened at Barpeta where 831 inmates have taken shelter after the violence during the August 28 bandh called by All Assam Minority Students Union.
In Kokrajhar, there are currently 55,665 inmates in 50 camps, while 31,818 inmates are staying in 24 camps at Chirang.
Dhubri has the highest number of inmates (1,46,091) in 132 camps. In Bongaigaon, 7,938 inmates are now left in nine camps, the sources said.
There are altogether 38 Bodo camps with 25,148 inmates and 180 minority camps with 2,17,343 inmates at present, sources added.
There were altogether 4,85,921 inmates in 340 relief camps during the height of the violence which began on July 19 claiming 96 lives so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in