2,000 refugees in Jalpaiguri from Kokrajhar
Jalpaiguri: With the situation remaining grave in strife-torn Kokrajhar district in Assam, around 2,000 people from the state have migrated to neighbouring Jalpaiguri district in West Bengal.
Jalpaiguri SP Sugato Sen said the refugees have migrated to Alipurduar, Alipurduar junction, Kumargram and Barovisha on the West Bengal-Assam border.
Most of them have them are staying with their relatives, while a few have taken shelter in schools at Barovisha and Kumargram areas.
Sen said about 500 to 700 refugees are staying at the relief camp set up by Railways at Alipurduar junction.
District Magistrate Smarky Mohapatra said no relief camp has been opened by the authorities but succour was being provided by it.
Cooch Behar district magistrate Mohan Gandhi said about 1,000 people from Assam had taken shelter at Baxirhat on the border over the past two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!