2,000 refugees in Jalpaiguri from Kokrajhar
Jalpaiguri: With the situation remaining grave in strife-torn Kokrajhar district in Assam, around 2,000 people from the state have migrated to neighbouring Jalpaiguri district in West Bengal.
Jalpaiguri SP Sugato Sen said the refugees have migrated to Alipurduar, Alipurduar junction, Kumargram and Barovisha on the West Bengal-Assam border.
Most of them have them are staying with their relatives, while a few have taken shelter in schools at Barovisha and Kumargram areas.
Sen said about 500 to 700 refugees are staying at the relief camp set up by Railways at Alipurduar junction.
District Magistrate Smarky Mohapatra said no relief camp has been opened by the authorities but succour was being provided by it.
Cooch Behar district magistrate Mohan Gandhi said about 1,000 people from Assam had taken shelter at Baxirhat on the border over the past two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...