2,000 refugees in Jalpaiguri from Kokrajhar
Jalpaiguri: With the situation remaining grave in strife-torn Kokrajhar district in Assam, around 2,000 people from the state have migrated to neighbouring Jalpaiguri district in West Bengal.
Jalpaiguri SP Sugato Sen said the refugees have migrated to Alipurduar, Alipurduar junction, Kumargram and Barovisha on the West Bengal-Assam border.
Most of them have them are staying with their relatives, while a few have taken shelter in schools at Barovisha and Kumargram areas.
Sen said about 500 to 700 refugees are staying at the relief camp set up by Railways at Alipurduar junction.
District Magistrate Smarky Mohapatra said no relief camp has been opened by the authorities but succour was being provided by it.
Cooch Behar district magistrate Mohan Gandhi said about 1,000 people from Assam had taken shelter at Baxirhat on the border over the past two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!