2,000 refugees in Jalpaiguri from Kokrajhar
Jalpaiguri: With the situation remaining grave in strife-torn Kokrajhar district in Assam, around 2,000 people from the state have migrated to neighbouring Jalpaiguri district in West Bengal.
Jalpaiguri SP Sugato Sen said the refugees have migrated to Alipurduar, Alipurduar junction, Kumargram and Barovisha on the West Bengal-Assam border.
Most of them have them are staying with their relatives, while a few have taken shelter in schools at Barovisha and Kumargram areas.
Sen said about 500 to 700 refugees are staying at the relief camp set up by Railways at Alipurduar junction.
District Magistrate Smarky Mohapatra said no relief camp has been opened by the authorities but succour was being provided by it.
Cooch Behar district magistrate Mohan Gandhi said about 1,000 people from Assam had taken shelter at Baxirhat on the border over the past two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder