2014 poll will be my last Lok Sabha election: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Thursday said that the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections in 2014 would be his last as MP, but he would continue to contest Assembly Elections.
"This is going to be my last MP election. This time, the Congress party will win a record number of seats ... I hope, it will be 12 of the 14 seats," the 77-year old veteran Congress politician told a press conference here.
Asked specifically if this was the first step toward retirement from active politics, Gogoi who has been chief minister for three consecutive terms since 2001 replied, "I am not taking any retirement now, but one day you have to take that call. I am getting old. Age is an issue."
He said, however, that he would continue to contest assembly elections in the coming years.
Referring to the recent statement by Jamiat-i-Ulema-e- Hind leader Maulana Mehmood Madani, Gogoi said, "It is now clear that he has an understanding with (Narendra) Modi. However, this is not going to help Modi, but rather hurt him."
Madani, earlier this week, had said that `so-called` secular parties should not invoke the bogey of Narendra Modi to create fear among Muslim voters.
On the recent incidents of jail break, Gogoi said "We will set up a committee to check any security lapse and it will suggest preventive measures."
Between September 9 and October 13 this year, seven incidents of jail break took place including at Guwahati, Silchar and Karimganj.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened