30 injured in police firing in Assam`s Cachar district
Guwahati: At least 30 people, including a superintendent of police and seven policemen, were injured in police firing on Monday after a mob went on a rampage in the Rongpur area of Assam’s Cachar district.
According to media reports, the district administration has asked the army to remain on standby and imposed prohibitory orders in the region.
The firing by police reportedly occurred when a group of people burnt vehicles and threw stones late last night.
The unruly incident took place allegedly over some objectionable items being found at three places of worship in Rongpur area.
Official sources were quoted by media reports, as saying that the police first resorted to a baton charge, firing of teargas before opening gun fire on the mob.
The injured have been admitted for treatment to the Silchar Medical College Hospital. Their condition was stated to be stable when reports last came in.
The tense situation in Rongpur is being monitored by senior police and civil officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29