30 people injured in mob violence, Gogoi alleges VHP`s hand
Guwahati/Silchar: At least 30 people, including policemen, were injured in overnight violence after a mob went on a rampage at Rongpur in Assam`s Cachar district.
Police have arrested nine people in connection with the clashes so far, while the district administration has asked the Army to remain alert and imposed prohibitory orders in the district.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi charged that the VHP was behind the violence.
"BJP, VHP and other associates are communal... VHP is behind last night`s violence at Silchar. They are creating communal tension and trying to divide society on the basis of religion," he told reporters in Guwahati.
"VHP is trying to create hatred at many other places in the state," he charged.
"... But people of Assam are aware. We are also taking it very seriously and asked the authorities to handle it very strictly."
Gogoi further said that VHP and other Sangh Parivar groups were trying to organise rath yatra in the state, but his government won`t allow this to happen.
Meanwhile, Cachar Superintendent of Police Diganta Bora said that the situation remained tensed, but under control at present.
"Today the Deputy Commissioner called an all-party meeting at Silchar and Congress, BJP, CPI, CPI(M), AIUDF and other eminent citizens participated in it. Everyone appealed to the people to maintain peace," he said.
In the incident which occurred late last night, a group of people went on a rampage burning vehicles and pelting stones after reports of some objectionable items being found at three places of worships at Rongpur spread.
The police first resorted to baton charge and used teargas to disperse the mob, but the violence continued forcing the police to open fire.
In the melee, around 30 people, including Bora and seven other policemen, were injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened