30 people injured in mob violence, Gogoi alleges VHP`s hand
Guwahati/Silchar: At least 30 people, including policemen, were injured in overnight violence after a mob went on a rampage at Rongpur in Assam`s Cachar district.
Police have arrested nine people in connection with the clashes so far, while the district administration has asked the Army to remain alert and imposed prohibitory orders in the district.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi charged that the VHP was behind the violence.
"BJP, VHP and other associates are communal... VHP is behind last night`s violence at Silchar. They are creating communal tension and trying to divide society on the basis of religion," he told reporters in Guwahati.
"VHP is trying to create hatred at many other places in the state," he charged.
"... But people of Assam are aware. We are also taking it very seriously and asked the authorities to handle it very strictly."
Gogoi further said that VHP and other Sangh Parivar groups were trying to organise rath yatra in the state, but his government won`t allow this to happen.
Meanwhile, Cachar Superintendent of Police Diganta Bora said that the situation remained tensed, but under control at present.
"Today the Deputy Commissioner called an all-party meeting at Silchar and Congress, BJP, CPI, CPI(M), AIUDF and other eminent citizens participated in it. Everyone appealed to the people to maintain peace," he said.
In the incident which occurred late last night, a group of people went on a rampage burning vehicles and pelting stones after reports of some objectionable items being found at three places of worships at Rongpur spread.
The police first resorted to baton charge and used teargas to disperse the mob, but the violence continued forcing the police to open fire.
In the melee, around 30 people, including Bora and seven other policemen, were injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray