38 more villages under water in Assam
Guwahati: The flood situation turned critical Friday with 38 more villages being inundated in the worst-hit Dhemaji and Nagaon districts of Assam.
So far, nearly 300 villages have been affected in 10 districts across the state hitting nearly 90,000 people.
According to Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA) data, 29 more villages have been affected in Dhemaji, while nine villages in Nagaon district have come under flood water today.
Four relief camps have been set up in Dhemaji district, where nearly 1,000 people have taken shelter. Also, about 5,000 hectares of agricultural land with standing crops, including rice, have been damaged.
Meanwhile, the Brahmaputra has been flowing over danger mark at Nematighat in Jorhat district, while its tributary Jia Bharali is flowing over the danger mark at N T Road Xing in Sonitpur district, ASDMA said.
Earlier this week, the Assam government had sounded red alert in four districts following a warning from the Indian Meteorological Department.
Following this, district administrations in Sonitpur, North Lakhimpur, Golaghat and Barpeta have started taking steps to face any adverse situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31