40 injured in Assam mob violence
Sibsagar: Atleast 40 people, including 12 police personnel, were injured when a mob went on a rampage following an abortive attempt to abduct a two-year old boy in Assam`s Sibsagar district on Tuesday, police said.
A mentally deranged youth allegedly tried to kidnap a child from Mathurapur tea garden this morning but the garden labourers prevented the kidnap attempt and assaulted him.
The garden authorities managed to rescue the youth and handed him over to Mathurapur police station, adjacent to the garden, following which a mob gheraoed the police station, pelted stones and later ransacked it in which 12 policemen were injured.
The police used rubber bullets to disperse the mob and in the ensuing melee, at least 28 people were injured.
Senior police and civil officials have rushed to the spot and the situation was brought under control but tension continues to prevail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees