40 injured in Assam mob violence
Sibsagar: Atleast 40 people, including 12 police personnel, were injured when a mob went on a rampage following an abortive attempt to abduct a two-year old boy in Assam`s Sibsagar district on Tuesday, police said.
A mentally deranged youth allegedly tried to kidnap a child from Mathurapur tea garden this morning but the garden labourers prevented the kidnap attempt and assaulted him.
The garden authorities managed to rescue the youth and handed him over to Mathurapur police station, adjacent to the garden, following which a mob gheraoed the police station, pelted stones and later ransacked it in which 12 policemen were injured.
The police used rubber bullets to disperse the mob and in the ensuing melee, at least 28 people were injured.
Senior police and civil officials have rushed to the spot and the situation was brought under control but tension continues to prevail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outline solutions, don't become roadblock to progressive democracy: BJP tells Mamata
- After Virat Kohli, time for Anil Kumble to work with MS Dhoni - Here's what Jumbo said..
- Union Minister Maneka Gandhi raps Kerala for its policy on stray dogs
- RSS distributed sweets on the day Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated: Congress
- Remember Parul Chauhan aka Ragini from 'Bidaai'? Her latest pictures will make your jaw drop!