45 injured as express train derails in Assam
Guwahati: At least 45 people were injured Friday when nine coaches of an express train jumped tracks near Guwahati in Assam, authorities said.
The accident took place around 2.15 a.m. between Aujuri and Jagiroad stations of the Northeast Frontier Railway.
The train started its journey from Dimapur in Nagaland Tuesday night and was to reach Guwahati early Wednesday.
NF Railway`s chief public relations officer S. Lahiri said there were no deaths but at least 45 passengers received minor injuries.
The accident affected railway service in the whole state, forcing the authorities to cancel eight trains and terminate at least four.
"The movement of trains was affected for quite some time due to the accident. We detained trains at many places due to the accident. However, movement started as soon as the tracks were cleared," Lahiri said.
Five trains, including the New Delhi-bound Rajdhani Express, were halted at various stations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Meet Kirti Bharti, the new topper of Bihar Intermediate exams in Arts stream!
- Agra boy seeks PM Modi, CM Akhilesh's help for his blood cancer treatment
- Armoured cars now mandatory to accompany security forces in Kashmir
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II