45 injured as express train derails in Assam
Guwahati: At least 45 people were injured Friday when nine coaches of an express train jumped tracks near Guwahati in Assam, authorities said.
The accident took place around 2.15 a.m. between Aujuri and Jagiroad stations of the Northeast Frontier Railway.
The train started its journey from Dimapur in Nagaland Tuesday night and was to reach Guwahati early Wednesday.
NF Railway`s chief public relations officer S. Lahiri said there were no deaths but at least 45 passengers received minor injuries.
The accident affected railway service in the whole state, forcing the authorities to cancel eight trains and terminate at least four.
"The movement of trains was affected for quite some time due to the accident. We detained trains at many places due to the accident. However, movement started as soon as the tracks were cleared," Lahiri said.
Five trains, including the New Delhi-bound Rajdhani Express, were halted at various stations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown