5534 street children live in Guwahati, says survey
Guwahati: A total of 5534 street children live in Guwahati, the Gateway to the North East, with the majority being in the age group of 12-17 years, a survey conducted by an NGO said.
Of them, 80.5 per cent are boys, according to the study report released here today.
Majority of the children were in the age group of 10 years and above, with those in the age bracket of 10-14 years constituting close to half of the street children surveyed.
About 60 per cent of the children`s place of origin was Assam followed by West Bengal at 31.1 per cent, the survey pointed out.
A significant 42 per cent of the children had never been to school.
Unsafe places such as street and railway platforms were the place of stay for most children with no education, it said.
There was a significant association between education and place of stay of street children with primary and upper primary educated children mostly living in slums and this attributes to the availability of affordable education close to the slums, the study pointed out.
Younger children were largely engaged in rag picking (58 per cent) or in begging (23 per cent) and the older ones were in selling wares or work in shops.
Savings behaviour of the children showed that only 21 per cent saved money and a majority of 56.2 per cent tried to finish the money as soon as possible, the study said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla