56 Assam villages want to merge with Mizoram
Karimganj: Residents of 56 backward and interior villages in the greater Cheragi area of Assam`s Karimganj district have blamed the state government for lack of any development activities in the region and expressed interest to merge with neighbouring Mizoram.
The villagers have come under the joint platform of Cheragi-Jamuyang Sadak Unnayan Samiti and last week held a mass meeting and discussion which resolved to fight to merge their area with Mamit district of Mizoram.
Speaking to media here today, Cheragi-Jamuyang Sadak Unnayan Samiti President Abhimanyu Singh and Secretary Sarful Ali said that since Independence their area had hardly seen any developmental work.
"The resolution taken during the mass meeting was also forwarded to the Deputy Commissioner of Mamit district of Mizoram," Ali said.
During the last Assam assembly election in May 2011, the villagers of the area had boycotted the polls alleging government apathy to basic facilities like road connectivity, safe drinking water, electricity, health care and education.
The Samiti leaders said that though Assam Border Area Development Minister Siddique Ahmed was from Barak Valley, he had not visited their villages or tried to alleviate their conditions.
"Our tale is one of neglect and deprivation with no prospect of improvement," said Pratibha Kurmi, a local resident of greater Cheragi area.
Apart from lack of infrastructure, Bru militants from Mizoram were also active in the area, the Samiti alleged.
The 56 villages have a total population of around 15,000 residents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- In or out? Did Sidhu really quit BJP and join AAP!
- Rajnath Singh sends out stern message to Pakistan, says 'we don't need third party in Kashmir'
- Declare India a 'Hindu state', says Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray
- AN-32 search still on, ISRO satellite imagery sought
- What is the purpose of human life—Know here!