65% polling in 2nd phase of Assam panchayat elections
Guwahati: An estimated 65 per cent of the electorate on Wednesday cast their ballots on the second day of the three-phase Assam panchayat election, which was marked by sporadic incidents of violence, officials said.
Clashes between rival parties, attack on candidates and presiding officers were reported from parts of Nalbari, Kamrup (Rural) and Sonitpur districts, they said.
Irregularities in electoral rolls with names of eligible voters missing and wrong symbols were reported from some polling stations in Nalbari, Sonitpur, Kamrup (Rural), Barpeta and Darrang districts.
The decision on repoll in these centres would be taken by the State Election Commission after reports were received, the officials said.
The districts where the second phase of panchayat polls were held were Sonitpur, Darrang, Nalbari, Barpeta, Kamrup (metro), Bongaigaon and parts of Dibrugarh and Morigaon.
Of the total 26,724 candidates in fray, 520 contested for the zila parishad, 2,265 for anchalik panchayat, 2,726 for gaon panchayat president and 21,213 contested for Gaon panchayat membership.
The third and final phase of the grassroot election would be held on February 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?