65% polling in 2nd phase of Assam panchayat elections
Guwahati: An estimated 65 per cent of the electorate on Wednesday cast their ballots on the second day of the three-phase Assam panchayat election, which was marked by sporadic incidents of violence, officials said.
Clashes between rival parties, attack on candidates and presiding officers were reported from parts of Nalbari, Kamrup (Rural) and Sonitpur districts, they said.
Irregularities in electoral rolls with names of eligible voters missing and wrong symbols were reported from some polling stations in Nalbari, Sonitpur, Kamrup (Rural), Barpeta and Darrang districts.
The decision on repoll in these centres would be taken by the State Election Commission after reports were received, the officials said.
The districts where the second phase of panchayat polls were held were Sonitpur, Darrang, Nalbari, Barpeta, Kamrup (metro), Bongaigaon and parts of Dibrugarh and Morigaon.
Of the total 26,724 candidates in fray, 520 contested for the zila parishad, 2,265 for anchalik panchayat, 2,726 for gaon panchayat president and 21,213 contested for Gaon panchayat membership.
The third and final phase of the grassroot election would be held on February 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city