71.31 per cent voters cast vote in Algapur bypoll in Assam
Guwahati: An estimated 71.31 per cent voters on Sunday cast their votes in the by-election to Algapur Assembly constituency in Assam`s Barak Valley.
Polling was peaceful with no report of any untoward incident from any part of the constituency, official sources said.
Polling ended at 4 pm and the poll percentage was expected to go up as many voters who had entered the polling stations before the end of the poll were yet to cast their vote.
Polling in the constituency was held amidst tight security with 14 companies of paramilitary forces deployed.
There are 12 candidates in the fray including candidates from the Congress, AGP, AIUDF and BJP besides eight Independents though the contest was expected to be direct between Congress candidate Mandira Roy and AIUDF`s Mehbubul Hasan.
The predominantly minority constituency was spread across Hailakandi and Cachar districts in Barak Valley.
The by-elections to Algapur was necessitated following the death of AGP MLA Sahidul Alam Choudhary on November 20 last.
Choudhary, a former minister and five-time MLA, had held the seat since his debut in 1985 except for 2006 when it was wrested by Rahul Roy of Congress but the party gave a ticket to his mother this time.
The total electorate in the constituency was 140,831 voters, comprising 75,498 men and 65,333 women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH