Abducted Power Grid engineer released
Rangia (Assam): The abducted engineer of Power Grid Corporation Limited has been released by his captors in Kumarikata area of Assam`s Baksa district, police said on Wednesday.
The engineer, Senthela P Raju, was brought from the nearby Bhutan Hills where he was held captive by suspected NDFB militants, to Kumarikata by an armed member of the outfit late last night.
The militant left Raju at Kumarikata who,then boarded a bus and arrived at Goghrachowk in Tamulpur area this morning and informed the police about his release.
Raju told the police that he was taken to the Bhutan hills by the captors and was not subjected to any torture.
He said he was provided with food though he was not allowed to change his dress or take a bath.
Raju said that he was not aware of the reason for his kidnapping though he suspects that it could have been for ransom.
He further said that he was not aware whether the company had paid ransom for his release.
A PGCIL spokesman, however, said that the company did not pay any ransom to the militants.
Raju has been admitted to a hospital for a health check up.
Raju, who hails from Nellore in Andhra Pradesh, was kidnapped on February 15 last from the Power Grid Corporation`s camp at Dhekipota under Goreshwar police station near the Indo-Bhutan border.
The police had arrested seven persons in connection with the kidnapping during the last one week, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest