Act tough to check violence: Centre tells Assam govt
New Delhi: Worried over continuing violence in Assam, the Centre on Tuesday asked the state government to act tough against elements indulging in riots and vitiating the atmosphere there.
Union Home Secretary RK Singh called up Assam Chief Secretary NK Das and Director General of Police JN Chaudhury and told them that strict action should be taken against anti-social elements and any possibility of social unrest must be nipped in the bud.
Official sources said the central government was worried over some organisations trying to create social tension by calling for bandhs and favoured preventive action against leaders of such outfits.
Violence spread to new areas and other than Bodoland Territorial Area Districts (BTAD) following two subsequent bandhs -- yesterday and today -- and Centre has taken it very seriously amid apprehension that if the flare up is not contained immediately, the situation may further deteriorate, they said.
Army staged flag marches at various places in BTAD as the AAMSU-sponsored day-long Assam bandh turned violent with government officials and mediapersons attacked leading to imposition of curfew in some areas.
There were sporadic incidents in Tezpur, Barpeta Road, Nagaon, Morigaon, Sibsagar etc. During the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!