Additional Sukhoi squadron likely for Chabua base: IAF
Chabua: An additional squadron of advanced combat aircraft Sukhoi-30MKI is likely to be stationed at the Indian Air Force`s eastern-most station in view of the strategic importance of the base.
Sharing the news here, Wing Commander Gaurav Mani Tripathy told journalists yesterday on the eve of the 81st Air Force Day that the Sukhoi-30MKI multi-role fighter plane squadron is used to patrol the skies in the region.
With the Mig-21 era coming to an end at the station the last squadron moved out in 2009 ? Tripathy said that the base underwent a major renovation and expansion of facilities in preparation for the induction of the Sukhoi-30MKI fighters, which arrived in February 2011.
Speaking about the Su-30MKI, Tripathy said the aircraft was manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) under licence from Russia`s Sukhoi.
He said that the heavy, all-weather, long-range Indian variant of the fighter plane was more advanced than the basic SU-30MK and more capable than those used by China (SU30MKK/MK2) and Malaysia (SU-30MKM).
Talking about the Chabua base, he said, "The station has served as a major supply point for troops deployed in Arunachal Pradesh with various transport aircraft and helicopters operating from here."
The Chabua base was built in 1939 and used throughout World War II by Allied Forces against invading Japanese forces.
As an IAF base, Chabua took on a training role as MiG-21s were based here for the instruction of young fighter pilots, Tripathy said.
On the occasion of the 81st anniversary of the IAF, the station is set to achieve all tasks in peace or in war, in line with the IAF`s credo of `People First, Mission Always`, the Wing Commander added.
"Over the years, the transport and helicopter fleets have emerged as the lifelines for both our troops at forward posts, as well as the civilian population in remote areas and in times of natural disasters," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa