Advani to visit Assam on July 30, 31
New Delhi: After Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit to violence-hit Kokrajhar in Assam on Saturday, BJP leader L K Advani will undertake a two-day visit to the affected areas on July 30 and 31.
Advani will visit the worst-affected Kokrajhar district and some other areas in the state and meet the affected people there.
Earlier, a BJP fact-finding team had visited the affected areas and gave its report to party president Nitin Gadkari.
The BJP has accused the Congress party at the Centre and the state for the current situation and for not taking effective steps to curb violence.
It has also lashed out at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for not doing enough to prevent the ethnic riots and demanded a reply from him on Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi`s charges that the Centre did not provide timely help to the state in preventing the situation from worsening.
During his visit to the affected areas today, the Prime Minister described the Kokrajhar riots as a "blot on the nation".
Meanwhile, the BJP fact finding team has blamed illegal immigrants for the Assam violence and charged Congress with "inaction" in checking their entry into the country for vote-bank politics.
The opposition party demanded that the Indo-Bangladesh border be sealed immediately and sought more deployment of army and para-military forces to check the spread of violence that had so far claimed 50 lives in the northeast state.
"The government did not take appropriate action in time to prevent the Assam violence...Illegal migrants are behind the problem. But the Tarun Gogoi-led Congress government is not doing anything on the issue...It is only doing vote bank politics," BJP general secretary Vijay Goel, who headed the team to Assam, has said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India