Advani to visit Assam on July 30, 31
New Delhi: After Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit to violence-hit Kokrajhar in Assam on Saturday, BJP leader L K Advani will undertake a two-day visit to the affected areas on July 30 and 31.
Advani will visit the worst-affected Kokrajhar district and some other areas in the state and meet the affected people there.
Earlier, a BJP fact-finding team had visited the affected areas and gave its report to party president Nitin Gadkari.
The BJP has accused the Congress party at the Centre and the state for the current situation and for not taking effective steps to curb violence.
It has also lashed out at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for not doing enough to prevent the ethnic riots and demanded a reply from him on Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi`s charges that the Centre did not provide timely help to the state in preventing the situation from worsening.
During his visit to the affected areas today, the Prime Minister described the Kokrajhar riots as a "blot on the nation".
Meanwhile, the BJP fact finding team has blamed illegal immigrants for the Assam violence and charged Congress with "inaction" in checking their entry into the country for vote-bank politics.
The opposition party demanded that the Indo-Bangladesh border be sealed immediately and sought more deployment of army and para-military forces to check the spread of violence that had so far claimed 50 lives in the northeast state.
"The government did not take appropriate action in time to prevent the Assam violence...Illegal migrants are behind the problem. But the Tarun Gogoi-led Congress government is not doing anything on the issue...It is only doing vote bank politics," BJP general secretary Vijay Goel, who headed the team to Assam, has said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends