After blast, Guwahati bazar calm but tense
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Monday, July 29, 2013, 16:04
  
Guwahati: Near normalcy returned on Monday to one of the busiest business areas of Guwahati where a grenade attack one day earlier wounded 15 people but traders said they remained worried.

Shops reopened at Paltan Bazar but many said they were yet to recover from the Saturday shock.

On Saturday evening, suspected members of the anti-talk faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) lobbed a grenade at a police checkpost.

The Guwahati Medical College and Hospital said 15 people were admitted with injuries. They included two policemen and three basketball players from neighbouring West Bengal.

"The injuries of the policemen were of serious nature. The rest 13 got minor injuries and most have been discharged," a doctor told a news agency on Monday.

Assam Director General of Police JN Choudhury visited the blast site Monday. He said a Chinese grenade was used in the attack.

This is the fourth grenade attack in Assam since last week. "We have received some clues. The blast has been carried out at the instruction of anti-talk faction commander Dristi Rajkhowa," Senior Superintendent of Police AP Tiwari said.

"Security arrangements have been intensified... However, we are taking further steps to cover loopholes, if any," he said.

IANS


First Published: Monday, July 29, 2013, 16:04


comments powered by Disqus