AGP demands action against perpetrators of `secret
Guwahati: The Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) on Wednesday demanded action on the Justice K N Saikia commission report on the alleged `secret killings` which shook the state between 1998 and 2001.
"The Congress government has taken no action on the report of the judicial commission headed by former Supreme Court Justice Saikia. We demand that perpetrators responsible for the killings be made to face the law," AGP General Secretary Ramendra Narayan Kalita told reporters here.
He said the AGP government, which ruled Assam between 1996 and 2001, had formed a commission under Justice S Haque to investigate the killings when scores of people, including relatives of ULFA leaders, were killed by unidentified gunmen.
"However, after Tarun Gogoi came to power in 2001, three commissions were formed in succession. But no action has been taken," Kalita said.
"While the AGP government of that time took action and constituted the Haque commission to investigate the killings which took place during our regime, the Congress is only resorting to cheap politicking by playing blame-game instead of taking action to bring the culprits to book," he added.
The Saikia commission had been formed in 2005 and submitted its report in 2007. It had indicted the then Chief Minister and AGP president Prafulla Kumar Mahanta and said the killings were the outcome of a nexus between the police and the surrendered ULFA members.
"We also demand an independent enquiry on the numerous murders that have taken place in the last 11 years of the Tarun Gogoi government and also the Congress government of 1991-1996 headed by the late Hiteshwar Saikia," Kalita said, terming charges levelled against Mahanta as false.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal govt vs Centre: Delhi High Court seeks response from Modi governnment
- Indian Premier League: Here's what original mystery spinner Paul Adams said about Shivil Kaushik!
- 'Deal between PM Modi and Italy to fix Sonia Gandhi': BJP moves privilege motion against Ghulam Nabi Azad
- Nine Taliban militants killed in IED blast in Afghanistan's Badakhshan province
- WATCH: HILARIOUS! When Australian all-rounder James Faulkner turned Gujarati for a day