AGP demands CBI inquiry into labour leader`s killing
Guwahati: Terming the killing of CPI-ML Liberation leader Gangaram Kaul a "political murder," opposition Asom Gana Parishad on Saturday said the case should be handed over to the CBI for further investigation.
"Gangaram Kaul`s killing is a political murder. While Kaul`s wife and political colleagues have blamed some ruling party leaders for the murder, the state government is sending out statements which seems to suggest an attempt to cover up the issue and shield the perpetrators," AGP president Prafulla Kumar Mahanata told reporters here.
"The state police or the CID cannot undertake an impartial investigation. For the sake of an impartial probe, we demand a CBI inquiry into the killing," he said.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had on Thursday said his government had decided to go for an inquiry by the CID. Kaul (44) was killed by a group of unidentified persons in Gutibari in Tinsukia district on March 25.
His death had evoked sharp response with districts in upper Assam shutting down during the bandh call given by the CPI-ML Liberation yesterday.
The AGP has also called for a CBI inquiry into the prevalence of `syndicates` in sectors like transportation, coal and vegetables in Assam.
"The existence of syndicates has led to further worsening of inflation, besides loss of revenue to the state. Gogoi has himself admitted their existence, while many Congress MLAs have alleged involvement of their party leaders in syndicates," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part IV
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part V
- Normandy church attack: French priest, two hostage takers killed; Islamic State claims responsibility
- Kargil war: When Pakistan faced stinging defeat at the hands of India - Watch
- Narsingh Yadav Doping Scandal: Wrestler's food was spiked by an intruder, reveals hostel cook
- Chhattisgarh using only its share of Mahanadi water: Raman Singh
- Assembly elections: AAP to release 'Dalit Manifestos' in Punjab, Gujarat, Goa