AGP demands CBI inquiry into labour leader`s killing
Guwahati: Terming the killing of CPI-ML Liberation leader Gangaram Kaul a "political murder," opposition Asom Gana Parishad on Saturday said the case should be handed over to the CBI for further investigation.
"Gangaram Kaul`s killing is a political murder. While Kaul`s wife and political colleagues have blamed some ruling party leaders for the murder, the state government is sending out statements which seems to suggest an attempt to cover up the issue and shield the perpetrators," AGP president Prafulla Kumar Mahanata told reporters here.
"The state police or the CID cannot undertake an impartial investigation. For the sake of an impartial probe, we demand a CBI inquiry into the killing," he said.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had on Thursday said his government had decided to go for an inquiry by the CID. Kaul (44) was killed by a group of unidentified persons in Gutibari in Tinsukia district on March 25.
His death had evoked sharp response with districts in upper Assam shutting down during the bandh call given by the CPI-ML Liberation yesterday.
The AGP has also called for a CBI inquiry into the prevalence of `syndicates` in sectors like transportation, coal and vegetables in Assam.
"The existence of syndicates has led to further worsening of inflation, besides loss of revenue to the state. Gogoi has himself admitted their existence, while many Congress MLAs have alleged involvement of their party leaders in syndicates," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray