AGP demands CBI inquiry into labour leader`s killing
Guwahati: Terming the killing of CPI-ML Liberation leader Gangaram Kaul a "political murder," opposition Asom Gana Parishad on Saturday said the case should be handed over to the CBI for further investigation.
"Gangaram Kaul`s killing is a political murder. While Kaul`s wife and political colleagues have blamed some ruling party leaders for the murder, the state government is sending out statements which seems to suggest an attempt to cover up the issue and shield the perpetrators," AGP president Prafulla Kumar Mahanata told reporters here.
"The state police or the CID cannot undertake an impartial investigation. For the sake of an impartial probe, we demand a CBI inquiry into the killing," he said.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had on Thursday said his government had decided to go for an inquiry by the CID. Kaul (44) was killed by a group of unidentified persons in Gutibari in Tinsukia district on March 25.
His death had evoked sharp response with districts in upper Assam shutting down during the bandh call given by the CPI-ML Liberation yesterday.
The AGP has also called for a CBI inquiry into the prevalence of `syndicates` in sectors like transportation, coal and vegetables in Assam.
"The existence of syndicates has led to further worsening of inflation, besides loss of revenue to the state. Gogoi has himself admitted their existence, while many Congress MLAs have alleged involvement of their party leaders in syndicates," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp