AGP demands CBI inquiry into labour leader`s killing
Guwahati: Terming the killing of CPI-ML Liberation leader Gangaram Kaul a "political murder," opposition Asom Gana Parishad on Saturday said the case should be handed over to the CBI for further investigation.
"Gangaram Kaul`s killing is a political murder. While Kaul`s wife and political colleagues have blamed some ruling party leaders for the murder, the state government is sending out statements which seems to suggest an attempt to cover up the issue and shield the perpetrators," AGP president Prafulla Kumar Mahanata told reporters here.
"The state police or the CID cannot undertake an impartial investigation. For the sake of an impartial probe, we demand a CBI inquiry into the killing," he said.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had on Thursday said his government had decided to go for an inquiry by the CID. Kaul (44) was killed by a group of unidentified persons in Gutibari in Tinsukia district on March 25.
His death had evoked sharp response with districts in upper Assam shutting down during the bandh call given by the CPI-ML Liberation yesterday.
The AGP has also called for a CBI inquiry into the prevalence of `syndicates` in sectors like transportation, coal and vegetables in Assam.
"The existence of syndicates has led to further worsening of inflation, besides loss of revenue to the state. Gogoi has himself admitted their existence, while many Congress MLAs have alleged involvement of their party leaders in syndicates," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference