AGP demands CBI inquiry into labour leader`s killing
Guwahati: Terming the killing of CPI-ML Liberation leader Gangaram Kaul a "political murder," opposition Asom Gana Parishad on Saturday said the case should be handed over to the CBI for further investigation.
"Gangaram Kaul`s killing is a political murder. While Kaul`s wife and political colleagues have blamed some ruling party leaders for the murder, the state government is sending out statements which seems to suggest an attempt to cover up the issue and shield the perpetrators," AGP president Prafulla Kumar Mahanata told reporters here.
"The state police or the CID cannot undertake an impartial investigation. For the sake of an impartial probe, we demand a CBI inquiry into the killing," he said.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had on Thursday said his government had decided to go for an inquiry by the CID. Kaul (44) was killed by a group of unidentified persons in Gutibari in Tinsukia district on March 25.
His death had evoked sharp response with districts in upper Assam shutting down during the bandh call given by the CPI-ML Liberation yesterday.
The AGP has also called for a CBI inquiry into the prevalence of `syndicates` in sectors like transportation, coal and vegetables in Assam.
"The existence of syndicates has led to further worsening of inflation, besides loss of revenue to the state. Gogoi has himself admitted their existence, while many Congress MLAs have alleged involvement of their party leaders in syndicates," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends