AGP demands inquiry into LPG scarcity in North East
Guwahati: The Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) on Thursday demanded an iquiry by the Centre into the ongoing scarcity of LPG cylinders in the North East.
"We have sent a memorandum to President Pratibha Patil, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Petroleum Minister S Jaipal Reddy asking for a high level inquiry into the LPG shortage in Assam and North East in recent months," AGP chief Prafulla Kumar Mahanta told reporters here.
The North Eastern region has been reeling under severe scarcity of LPG cylinders with waiting list at some centres stretching to over a month.
Mahanta also accused the Tarun Gogoi-led state government of economic mismanagement and distorting the real picture of Assam`s financial health.
"Gogoi claims credit for the fact that the Planning Commission has increased allocation for Assam to Rs 10,500 crore in 2012-13 from Rs 9,000 crore in 2011-12. However, states like Punjab and Chhattisgarh whose population are less than Assam have secured much bigger allocations than us," he said.
He alleged that between April-February of last fiscal the state government could utilise only 43 percent of the planned allocation.
Gogoi talks of development, while the fact is that 70 per cent of Assam`s population survive on an income of less than Rs 20 per day, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi