AGP demands inquiry into LPG scarcity in North East
Guwahati: The Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) on Thursday demanded an iquiry by the Centre into the ongoing scarcity of LPG cylinders in the North East.
"We have sent a memorandum to President Pratibha Patil, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Petroleum Minister S Jaipal Reddy asking for a high level inquiry into the LPG shortage in Assam and North East in recent months," AGP chief Prafulla Kumar Mahanta told reporters here.
The North Eastern region has been reeling under severe scarcity of LPG cylinders with waiting list at some centres stretching to over a month.
Mahanta also accused the Tarun Gogoi-led state government of economic mismanagement and distorting the real picture of Assam`s financial health.
"Gogoi claims credit for the fact that the Planning Commission has increased allocation for Assam to Rs 10,500 crore in 2012-13 from Rs 9,000 crore in 2011-12. However, states like Punjab and Chhattisgarh whose population are less than Assam have secured much bigger allocations than us," he said.
He alleged that between April-February of last fiscal the state government could utilise only 43 percent of the planned allocation.
Gogoi talks of development, while the fact is that 70 per cent of Assam`s population survive on an income of less than Rs 20 per day, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM