AGP non-commital on alliance with BJP in LS polls
New Delhi: AGP president and former Assam chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta was on Tuesday non-commital over his party`s alliance with BJP in the Lok Sabha polls, saying the party has not given a "thought" to the issue yet.
"We have not thought over the issue.Party`s top leaders will sit together soon and take a decision on it," he told a news agency here.
Mahanta said the BJP has not yet formally approached the AGP for an electoral alliance in Assam.
"I am not ruling out nor ruling in. Let us discuss among ourselves first. Neither BJP approached us nor we have gone to them for any alliance yet," he said.
There are 14 Lok Sabha seats in Assam.
The AGP and BJP had an electoral alliance for the 2009 Lok Sabha polls in Assam in which BJP got four seats while AGP got just one.
However, the alliance did not last long and both the parties split soon with AGP leaving the NDA.
Current BJP state President Sarbananda Sonowal is a former AGP Lok Sabha member and many of the state BJP leaders are former AGP members including Guwahati MP and a Minister in Atal Bihari Vajpayee government, Bijoya Chakraborty.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi will address a public rally in Guwahati on February 8, his first in the Northeast after he was appointed the BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate, where he may give hints about possible alliance in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery