AGP non-commital on alliance with BJP in LS polls
New Delhi: AGP president and former Assam chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta was on Tuesday non-commital over his party`s alliance with BJP in the Lok Sabha polls, saying the party has not given a "thought" to the issue yet.
"We have not thought over the issue.Party`s top leaders will sit together soon and take a decision on it," he told a news agency here.
Mahanta said the BJP has not yet formally approached the AGP for an electoral alliance in Assam.
"I am not ruling out nor ruling in. Let us discuss among ourselves first. Neither BJP approached us nor we have gone to them for any alliance yet," he said.
There are 14 Lok Sabha seats in Assam.
The AGP and BJP had an electoral alliance for the 2009 Lok Sabha polls in Assam in which BJP got four seats while AGP got just one.
However, the alliance did not last long and both the parties split soon with AGP leaving the NDA.
Current BJP state President Sarbananda Sonowal is a former AGP Lok Sabha member and many of the state BJP leaders are former AGP members including Guwahati MP and a Minister in Atal Bihari Vajpayee government, Bijoya Chakraborty.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi will address a public rally in Guwahati on February 8, his first in the Northeast after he was appointed the BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate, where he may give hints about possible alliance in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof